Ever wondered what crossfit is all about? Where did it come from and is it something that you could consider as a regular exercise? As much as some people love it or hate it, it has made a
CrossFit, Inc. defines it as a fitness regimen developed by Greg Glassman over several decades. It’s a program specifically designed to improve fitness and health. It’s composed of varied functional movements performed at high intensityand these movements reflect aspects of gymnastics, weightlifting, running, rowing and more. You can get an overview of it from the infographic below:
Here are some pros and cons for you to get a better idea of what to expect in this type of fitness regimen:
Difficulty. An effective way to improve muscle strength and endurance thru high intensity training.
Nutrition. Emphasizes the importance of healthy nutrition as part of the fitness regimen.
Community. Be encouraged in participating by peer support. Everyone feels welcome in a warm community.
Affordable. People at all income levels could participate because of the inexpensive fees. There’s not much high-tech equipment that you need to pay for.
Portable. Participants can learn to create exercise routines almost anywhere.
Frequent injury. Injury rates are substantially higher than other fitness regimens. Muscle and tendon ruptures are not uncommon.
Challenging technique. Correct form in exercising is difficult to master. Most of the moves used in crossfit are derived from gymnastics which takes years to get the hand of.
Peer pressure.The downside of encouragement from peers can push participants in engaging in unsafe exercises.
It might be complicated and overwhelming for beginners because you would be confused about what the program is considering it’s something varied and not a routine. However, ultimately it’s a fitness regimen aimed to successfully gain real fitness. If ever you do decide to try out this popular fitness regimen, there are a lot of crossfit gyms across the country that could offer you some insights or introduction about it. There’s even crossfit in Jacksonville, FL if you’re around that area.
If you need more encouragement, here are more statements about crossfit from people who have experienced it:
- A lifestyle which you are prioritizing your health.
- Ability to do many different things at a high level of intensity.
- Best way to reach fitness goals.
- Fun way to get fit.
- Has a team atmosphere that ends up making you a better individual.
- You’re a part of something bigger.
- It’s an outlet, passion and commitment.
- A challenge to compete with yourself.
- The workout is different everyday.
- Everyone is cheering you on and they don’t like you to quit.
- Sharing an emotional experience.
- It’s raw. It’s intense. It’s freaking awesome.
- The reward is the ability to express physical fitness in everyday life.